Situated in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains is the gateway to both North and South Carolina, just south of the state line less than two miles from I-26. Landrum has a relaxed small town atmosphere without the traffic and fast pace of the big city.
The City of Landrum was founded in 1880 after the railroad was extended north from Spartanburg, and incorporated in 1883. The first industry in the area was centered on textiles, with several textile companies still in existence today. Local industry has diversified over the years to now include companies producing many different items from electronics to furniture hardware. We still retain the historical Landrum railroad depot, which is where our community began.
Landrum is a walkable city of traditional design that will remind you of the town you grew up in. Its compact downtown area is composed of vintage brick buildings, which are a short walking distance from our many residential neighborhoods. Shopping is a pleasure in Landrum. Come visit our locally owned and operated antique and specialty gift shops. Landrum’s restaurants offer fine dining as well as lighter lunches for a variety of tastes.
The Landrum community has a variety of churches, clubs, modern schools, City parks, a public library, and youth sports facilities. This is a town with an eclectic mix of artists, musicians, retirees, shopkeepers, and people from all walks of life. Farms, equestrian centers, and golf courses surround the Landrum area. While boaters and water enthusiasts can enjoy nearby Lake Bowen or Lake Lanier, cycling and hiking are also popular activities in the area.
With the home of the Blockhouse Steeplechase also just five minutes from downtown Landrum, equestrian activities and horse farms are evident throughout the community and region. Equestrian trails and hiking trails are provided at FENCE (Foothills Equestrian and Nature Center). In addition, a variety of nature-oriented programs abound here which include bird watching, nature photography, and stargazing. The Palmetto Trail (a mountain to sea trail that transverses South Carolina) and many local favorites like Bradley Falls and Pearson Falls provide additional hiking activities for the outdoor enthusiast.
All four seasons come to Landrum. The winters are crisp and clear with an occasional snowfall. Spring is a delight with azaleas, dogwoods, and daffodils blooming everywhere. Summers are warm and breezy, the kind of summers you remember as a child. Fall brings brilliant colors as leaves change and flowering mums and wildflowers bloom. Temperatures are moderate throughout the year in this thermal belt area, and life meanders from season to season.
The first homesteaders began settling the Landrum area around 1760. They came from Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia seeking the fertile, free land. These were hardy settlers that had to fight not only the elements of an isolated land but Native Americans as well. To defend themselves against the Native Americans the settlers built a series of forts located at critical points. One, Earle’s Fort, was located approximately 2 miles east of the current City of Landrum.
For the next 80-years, the area continued to grow as lumber mills and corn mills were established. The roads serving the area were poor and difficult to travel, even in the best weather. When the railroad reached Spartanburg in the late 1840s, a market was established for the agricultural products of the area. It wasn’t until 1880, after the railroad was extended from Spartanburg, that the Town of Landrum was officially founded.
The city is named after Mr. John Landrum who gave the railroad land in 1877 for the construction of a station. The first name for the town was Landrums Station, but the name was shortened to Landrum around 1900. As the railroad pushed further north into North Carolina, the city continued to grow and expand. In 1912, Landrum was incorporated as a town and in 1973 it was made a city.
The early citizens of the area were farmers and raised corn and harvested timber products. This changed to cotton in the early 1900s, and around 1930, peaches became the region’s main cash crop. The first industry in the area was centered on textiles, with several textile companies still existing today.